Re: keeping odbc-users out?

From: John Durst <jdurst_at_sky.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:14:57 -0500

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but perhaps you should be creating users with permissions granted indirectly through all roles which are disabled by default. (ALTER USER x DEFAULT ROLE NONE) [Or a read-only role as a default as you mentioned.] You can then have the application do a SET ROLE command to enable the roles necessary only within the application. As a further level of security you could create roles with passwords and embedded the passwords within the application (in a security table) or prompt the user for one to enable the roles. If you want further information on this, let me know.