Re: Old connect string format

From: Roger Snowden <rsnowdenX_at_Xus.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:41:29 GMT

Tejas---

First, I would have to ask the obvious question: why would you want to use a v1 connect string for a v2 sql*net client? The only plausible reason I can imagine is to attempt to avert some of the overhead that comes with the TNS architecture, which involves parsing tnsnames.ora, dns lookup, possible use of a name server, etc. Sometimes the sql*net software is located on a common network drive and connections are taking a long time. Another situation is in a huge, enterprise network in which tnsnames.ora is big a slow to parse.

That said, here is what you can do to speed things up:

You can take the connect string contents from the tnsnames.ora file and use it directly as a sqlnet connect string. That is, use the tnsnames.ora form for a given sid, but use the whole thing as a connect string. This avoids the tnsnames.ora lookup, which I suppose you want to do. You can also put an ip address instead of a host name and avoid a DNS lookup too. Of course, Oracle Names is out of the picture as well.

The effect of this is to speed up a connection when tnsnames.ora is otherwise huge and time-consumptive to parse. Of course, you lose flexibility, but you can store the thing on your client, avoiding the .dll retrievals associated with the sqn*net v2 tns architecture. Stick it in a .ini file or plop it in the registry and grab it with the application code at connect time. Pretty fast.

Roger Snowden
rsnowden_at_us.oracle.com