Tuning Database Help

From: carl christianson <cchristianson_at_knowledgesoft.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:46:17 -0400

I have a database on Solaris 2.6 that when running designer 2000, 2.1 against it doing the reverse enginner of tables and such the box goes to 100% cpu utilization. Of which 99% is usr. My buffer hit ratio is 99.9% there is absolutely no waiting on any of the disks.
I run utlbstat/utlestat to see what's up and the only thing that stands out is:

Event Name                       Count         Total Time    Avg Time

rdbms ipc message 8 48008
6001

I understand what this is but how can you tune it? It also seems that there is an excessive amount of time waiting on PMON and SMON.
BTW: Oracle version 7.3.4.1.0

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 13:46:17 CDT