Re: exporting text files

From: Jens Mayer <jmayer_at_ratundtat.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:08:06 GMT

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:08:49 GMT, lshea_at_earthling.net wrote:

>I realize this is an easy question - hopefully there's an easy answer!
>
>We use SQL-Load a lot to get information into our clients' databases. One
>client now wants to dump a table back out into a text file without the headers
>or other information - just delimited by something and having all fields. Is
>there a SQL-Unload?

No, Oracle doesn't support unloading data that way. I think, Jonathan was right with the 'spool'-command. it's the easiest way, but the disadvantage is the performance, sql*plus scrolls not very fast. Another way, but with much more programming-effort is using the utl_file-package. I used it to export large amounts of data and it was pretty fast. You have to use Oracle 7.3 or higher and you must create the export-file on the server. There's no way to create a file with the utl_file-package on the LAN.

hope that helps

jens

Jens Mayer
Rat&Tat GmbH
Hamburg Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 13:08:06 CDT