Cost based optimizer with snapshots

From: <swapn187_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:58:33 GMT

I have Oracle 7.3.4 running on two servers on separate HP-Unix systems, each implemented as a data warehouse. One is a staging server and the other is a production server. The production server has read-only snapshots (with fast refresh) of the fact and dimension tables of the staging server. I have a Brio query that joins 10 dimension tables with a Fact table (having more than 8 million records) and has multiple sorts and group by's. The Choose option is set, but the cost-based optimizer was not used since I had not analyzed the tables. This caused the Sort-Merge joins to be used, needing more than 6G space in the Temp tablespace ! I analyzed the dimension tables: the cost-based optimizer was used, with hash-joins needing only 85M temp space. This was great !! Question: The same query needs to be run on the Production server. I am expecting that it would not use the Cost-based optimizer, since the objects used in the query are snapshots (not tables) that cannot be analyzed. Can anyone give any suggestions/information about forcing the cost-based optimizer to be used for queries against snapshots ?