Re: tracing someone else's session

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:34:53 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Graham Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com.nospam> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:26:20 -0500, you wrote:

>Having problems with an off-the-shelf software package that runs on top
>of Oracle - it's taking forever to do anything.
>
>From the software package itself there is no way to get to a SQL prompt,
>so I was wondering if it was possible to issue a 'alter session set
>sql_trace = TRUE' from another session (such as a DBA session).
>
>Anybody know if this can be done?
>
>Thanks
>
>Graham.

you can enable system wide tracing with SQL_TRACE = TRUE in the init.ora file (make sure timed_statistics is TRUE as well)....

Also, dbms_system has a procedure:

PROCEDURE SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION

 Argument Name                  Type                    In/Out Default?
 SID                            NUMBER                  IN
 SERIAL#                        NUMBER                  IN
 SQL_TRACE                      BOOLEAN                 IN

that you can use as well...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 10:34:53 CDT