Help with SQL*Net

From: Gary Hubbard <hubbardgd_at_phibred.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:10:03 -0500

I need to understand how things like SQL*Plus locate the SQL*Net components on the client (both W95 and WNT).

I have put the necessary DLLs in a directory that is included in the path on the client, therefore SQL*Net loads successfully. However, there are things like message files (.msb) that cannot be found.

I assumed that the ORACLE_HOME variable would be used by all applications to determine where certain components are, but I have defined this both as an environment variable (via a set command) and in the registry and continue to get errors that message files cannot be found. My experimenting was on a Windows 95 client.

My question is this: how can I, without installing SQL*Net on every client machine, simply point to SQL*Net and have the client find everything that is needed and run correctly?

Thanks,

Gary Hubbard Received on Mon Sep 28 1998 - 15:10:03 CDT