Views in Memory

From: Joseph Murtagh <jmurtagh_at_ml.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:08:23 -0500

I am an application developer working against an Oracle back end, so please excuse my Oracle naivete.

  1. I have several unnormalized tables that I want to replace with Views. When I do this, my application takes a major performance hit. Not just on the first query using the view, but every time. Why?
  2. Can a view be a dynaset cached in RAM & only updated on a per-record basis (eg when someone changes a fields contents). It seems now that the view is a snapshot which is fully refreshed every time the view is accessed. If this functionality is available, how do I implement it?

All comments are very appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Joe Received on Mon Sep 28 1998 - 13:08:23 CDT