Re: Crazy mistake in "Oracle Unleashed"

From: John <john_at_yellowstone.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:40:21 +0100

I read the quotes from 'unleashed' as meaning that, the datafiles of the tablespaces which had been put into backup mode would not be written to, which is true, isn't it, even if the other datafiles would be written to ?

>When you place a tablespace in backup mode, the Oracle instance notes
>that a backup is being performed and internally compensates for it. As
>you know, it is impossible to make an authentic copy of a database
>file that is being written to. On receipt of the command to begin the
>backup, however, Oracle ceases to make direct changes to the database
>file.

Thomas Kyte wrote:
<quote>
If you are in a situation where your database must be up and running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you will need to perform inconsistent whole database backups. A backup of an open database is inconsistent because portions of the database (hence, datafiles in the database) are being modified and written to disk while the backup is progressing. The database must be in ARCHIVELOG mode to be able to perform open backups. </quote>

...but not the portions in backup mode ?

--
Regards,
John. Received on Mon Sep 28 1998 - 06:40:21 CDT