Re: Enterprise Manager Jobs

From: Michael Angelo <shakibm_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1998/09/27

The user name you should use is an NT user not an Oracle user.

This is what you need to do:

  1. Create (or use an existing) an NT user account that has the following privileges:
  2. login as a batch job.
  3. have full access to the %ORA HOME% directory (possibly ORANT) and all its subdirectories.

Then you have two ways to set up the OEM correctly. A) a1) in the OEM click 'File" menu item and select

         'Preferences...'
    a2) in User Preferences Preferred Credentials Dialog

         box, select the Node (yes the node or the machine)
         where the Database is residing.  Then write in
         the Nt user name you have created in first step
         above, the password and the password confirmation.
         then click OK.
    a3)  Now create the Job and DON'T OVERRIDE
         Preferred Credentials.   You are DONE after you
         finish specifying the job and the schedule.

The second way (I strongly do prefer the first) to set up
     OEM correctly is:
b)  b1)  don't bother with setting the Preferred Credentials
          for the node.  OVERRIDE the Preferred Credentials
          and write in the NT user name you created in step
          one above and the password.   You are DONE after
          your finish specifying the job and the schedule.

It will work if you do the above steps as stated. .
Yours truly
Shakib Misherghi, Ph.D.
International DBA Services
shakibm_at_USA.net

davidm_at_s-scape.ca wrote in message <6ubu9j$fgd$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>... Oracle 8.0.4
Windows NT 4.0 SP3
Enterprise Manager 1.5

My problem: When a job is submitted by the Backup Manager (i.e. to RegisterDatabaseInRCAT) the job fails with the error: "Failed to authenticate
user" I checked the help files, they say that the proper access has to be
set in the Enterprise Manager's File|Preferences... I entered a DBA id/passwd in all possible fields. This id has TOTAL access to everything...
Haven given up of this, I try to get the Backup Manager to backup the database config. This results in a new Enterprise Manager Job, that also
fails because it "Failed to authenticate user". I did as the help files instructed (I think) and still nothing.

Any hints would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks, have a nice day(night),
Dave