Re: Disadvantage of Unlimited extent?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:14:06 GMT

A copy of this was sent to johnvue_at_gte.net (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:05:19 GMT, you wrote:

>This is not really a "disadvantage" but just be aware -- the
>documentation states that UNLIMITED extents don't apply to segments in
>the SYSTEM tablespace.

are you sure you don't mean that it is suggested that ROLLBACK SEGMENTS do not use unlimited extents (suggested but not enforced).

I'm not aware of the unlimited restriction on system objects, in fact starting with Oracle8, some system catalog objects have maxextents unlimited by default.

SQL> create table unlimited_extents ( x int )   2 storage ( maxextents unlimited ) tablespace system   3 /

Table created.

SQL> select segment_name, tablespace_name, max_extents   2 from dba_segments
  3 where segment_name = 'UNLIMITED_EXTENTS'   4 /

SEGMENT_NAME                   TABLESPACE_NAME                MAX_EXTENTS
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ----------
UNLIMITED_EXTENTS              SYSTEM                          2147483645

>On Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:32:56 +0800, "Ng TC" <tcng_at_yas.com.sg> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Can anyone tell me what is the disadvantage of setting table extents to
>>unlimited?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Tse Chong
>>
>>Please reply to email:
>>tcng_at_yas.com.sg

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Sep 25 1998 - 08:14:06 CDT