Re: Linux?

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_lucifer.guardian.no>
Date: 1998/09/24

[Adrian Blakey <ajb_at_alameda.net>]

| Does anyone have any current information on when the Linux port will
| be available, and what the release might contain? Will it be O8?
| will it have replication? will it have DBI support?

if I have understood Oracle correctly the pre-release was limited to the first 5000 to sign up for the "early adopter program" or what they called it. I do not think that the lucky 5000 are in any position to redistribute the software so copying the software is probably an act of software piracy.

we installed Oracle 8 for Linux a couple of days ago and we've just started testing it. earlier this month we wrote Oracle 8 support for PHP 3.0 which should be quite a bit better than the Oracle 7 support since Oracle have cleaned up OCI quite a bit. (if you grab the 3.0.4 release of Oracle 8 from http://php.guardian.no/ you can try it out yourself).

if anyone is interested I can post some comments on our experiences with Oracle 8 for Linux when we've come a bit further in our testing.

however, we still use Solid in our web projects and I guess we will continue to do so because it is simply better suited for most web projects (it's easier to use, it is cheaper, it performs well, it is hassle-free to install and it doesn't take a full time DBA to figure out which is good because most of our customers don't know the first thing about databases. check out http://www.solidtech.com/).

-Bjørn

--
 Bjørn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>       | "The Net interprets censorship
 <URL:http://borud.priv.no/>           | as damage and routes around it."