Ora 8.04/NT performance problem result

From: Jpmakar <jpmakar_at_aol.com>
Date: 25 Sep 1998 01:31:54 GMT

I posted a message a couple of weeks ago about a performance problem I was having in 8.04 and NT 4.0. I am older and wiser now and this is what I have learned:

When one of our development tools dies after it has unleashed a sql command, the thread remains active in Oracle and NT. A couple of those can suck CPU resources like nothing. The threads don't do any I/O and lock no resources, but they take 100% of available CPU. We're running OEM and killing the session in Instance manager does no good. Also alter system kill session 'sid,serial#' simply says the thread does not exist. What we have found we need to do is track down the absolute NT thread ID, convert it to a hex value (also known as the spid in the v$process view) and then orakill the thread. Be very careful with this, because if you miss and hit one of the system processes it will be ugly. Received on Thu Sep 24 1998 - 20:31:54 CDT