Re: IMP P08 TO PO7

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 20:12:08 GMT

Yes and no...I came across that problem myself and posted my problem on Oracle's metalink forum. You can't just simply export and then import. The workaround is the following:

1. connect to Oracle 8 database as the user internal or sys.
2. run the script catexp7.sql located in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms80/admin directory.
3. Export from the Oracle 8 database using the version 7 exp.
4. Import into Oracle 7 database using version 7 imp.

This information was given to me by Ken Robinson of Oracle Corp. We were exporting from an Oracle 8.0.3 on Windows NT to Oracle 7.3.4.0.1 on a Sun Enterprise 4500 server. We personally did not do this and used other means to transfer data, So I cannot tell you from experience if this works or not.

By the way, anyone thinking of Loading Oracle 8.0.3 on a NT box...don't do it. The bugs and problems we ran into were unbelievable.

In article <360a68ea.0_at_news1.ibm.net>,
  "Alan C. Fusco, Ph.D." <acfusco_at_ibm.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to use an exp file from a PO8 database and import it into a
> PO7 database? Everytime I try, I get an invalid header error.
>
> Alan

Good Luck and let me know if it worked for you... --
Satar Naghshineh
Oracle DBA/ UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions
(949) 756-0588