Re: Question about Rollback Segments

From: Peter Broadfield <GBH3R4BR_at_IBMMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:25:14 +0100

Stuart,
The first insert is the start of the ORACLE transaction and will use the same rollback segment until the ORACLE transaction ends. The ORACLE transaction ends when a COMMIT or ROLLBACK is given.

From that point on, you are now in another ORACLE transaction. You cannot have multiple COMMITs in the same ORACLE transaction. So the next ORACLE transaction will use another (or even the same) rollback segment.

You assume that one of your transactions (inserting lots of rows into a table in chunks of 500,000) is one ORACLE transaction but it isn't.

Hope this helps.
--
Regards Pete
stuco_at_mailcity.com wrote in message <6tjd7d$1ms$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I do large loads using Pro*C programs with Embedded SQL and I COMMIT after
>every 500,000 rows.
>
>The program sets the transaction to use a large rollback segment, then
INSERTs