Re: Export / Import and CharacterSets, slightly corrected answer

From: Frank Zekert <zekert_at_wmd.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:51:13 +0200

Hi !

using the US7ASCII scheme for storing 8bit-data DID work without any problems in ORACLE releases prior to 7.2 After that, they obviously applied the 7bit limit a little more strictly, hence your problems.
To be precise: there is NO valid translation for Umlauts in the WE8ISO8859P1 space for US7ASCII.

But hope is ahead (I had this problem before ;-) ): * export your valued data

    setting NLS_LANG=American_America.US7ASCII * patch your export file by replacing the third byte (0x01)

    with the value (0x1f)
* import to your production database with

    NLS_LANG=American_America.WE8ISO8859P1

I assumed that in fact you used ISO8859P1 character set to store our wonderful Umlauts, hence the "0x1f" value. Other codings exist.

Not documented, but for me it worked...

Hope this helps

Frank

Rolf Hauck schrieb in Nachricht <360A316D.D51F99F9_at_datenrevision.de>...