ORA-06510 and UTL_FILE package

From: Luis Díez <luis_at_cuende-asociados.es>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:07:27 +0200

Hi all,
This is really urgent!!
I have a procedure that writes a file to disk, reading from several tables. It writes one line with 96 fields, separated by commas. Average size of field is 2 characters, but I do have 7 fields which can come up to 250 char (I've used RTRIM to mitigate this).
So, if I follow execution with DBMS_OUTPUT messages, the procedure passes two records ok, but then fails at third, giving me this annoying message:

ERROR en línea 1:

ORA-06510: PL/SQL: excepción definida por el usuario no tratada
ORA-06512: en "VITADMIN.MINESET",  línea 315
ORA-06512: en  línea 1

That is:

ERROR in line 1:

ORA-06510: PL/SQL: user-predefined exception not managed
ORA-06512: in "VITADMIN.MINESET",  line 315
ORA-06512: in  line 1

That line #315 is just

 UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE(fout,buffer);

where FOUT is the file handle and BUFFER a VARCHAR2(7500) where I'm placing my output.

I'm going crazy with this.

If you know this error, please e-mail me directly (post as well if you want to).

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Luis Diez Porres
Jefe de Sistemas
Cuende Asociados