Re: Running Oracle on HP/EMC

From: The Perrier Group <lizr_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:57:48 -0400

In article <6u6ens$pga$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, pisarevy_at_my-dejanews.com says...
> Hello,
>
> I will be moving several databases to HP UNIX v11/EMC disks. I would like to
> solicit first-hand experiences related to the physical database layout (I am
> looking for the EMC specific issues, not a general discussion about OFA and
> separating data and indexes), and hot backups using BCVs.
>
> Thank you,
> Yelena
>
> Oracle Database Administrator
> Staples Inc.

        We have installed a total of 3 EMC boxes. On HP-UX 10.20 and OpenVMS. The best advise I can give is to spend a lot of time with EMC on the design of the disk map. Only you really know how your I/O works. Remember that while it may appear that you have many disks, you have only have a few spindles. Cache does help to even things out. We have only one HP box in production and it is not heavily used so I can't say if the disks or the layout has made an impact. The VMS box is very heavily used and I can say I am unimpressed with the results. Then again there almost no quiet disks on that system.

                                                Liz
--
My return address is L R E E N a t P E R R I E R G R O U P d o t C O M Received on Wed Sep 23 1998 - 14:57:48 CDT