Re: IMPORT Question

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:47:34 +0200

Vinnie wrote in message <3607B7BE.A1F601D8_at_rl.af.mil>...
>I am trying to import a large table(appox. 600,000 rows). I tried run
>the IMP & it took almost 7 hrs....? Is this ok, should it take this
>long?

Efficiency of import may depend on your instance parameters and database configuration.
First, if you have relatively small redo logs, then import time grows and in alert-log you may see frequet redo switches (one per several seconds). If there's to few redo groups you may additionally see "checkpoint not complete" messages in alert log. Another issue maybe that redo logs are on the same device that datafile is. So bottleneck may occur on that disk device. Next, if your database is in archivelog mode, speed of archiving may be too poor. Then import slows down. See log_archive_buffers log_archive_buffer_size parameters. And the destination of archived redo logs.
And about instance. Maybe you need to increase db_block_buffers and log_buffer parameters ?

Well... That's a short sight from the database point of view.

HTH,
Piotr Kolodziej
pkol_at_otago.gda.pl Received on Tue Sep 22 1998 - 13:47:34 CDT