Re: Need help with OWS 3

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:56:17 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Adolfo Andrade <aandradeg_at_mx3.redestb.es> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:34:55 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi, all
>
>Does anybody know how the owa and htp packages work? I'm trying to
>execute a procedure from a schema, by another user. The proc. executes
>fine, but no output is generated (executing as owner has no problem).
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Adolfo

This happens when you have more then one copy of the toolkit installed (htp, htf, owa, etc packages).

user1_agent writes its output to the htp package. this is probably user1_agent.htp.

user2_agent reads its output from the htp package. this is probably user2_agent.htp.

When you run the procedure as user1_agent, it reads and writes the output from/to the same package -- hence there is data.

when you run that procedure as user2_agent, it WRITES the data to user2_agent.htp but READS the data from user2_agent.htp -- hence NO DATA.

The solution I use (and in OAS 4 it will install in a similar fashion)

1- drop ALL occurrences of the toolkit from ALL SCHEMAS in your database.

2- create a user, say OWS, and grant connect, dba to this user (we will revoke this later)

3- log in as that user

4- run the script owains.sql (found in $ORACLE_HOME/ows2*/admin for for ows2.x and $ORACLE_HOME/ows/3.0/admin/owains.sql for 3.x) using SVRMGRL (or issue set define off in sqlplus before running it)

5- grant execute on each and every package to public

6- create public synonyms for each and every package

7- log on as another DBA and revoke connect, dba from OWS

You now have a user that owns code but cannot log in and only has public priveleges. All references to htp/htf/owa/etc will goto this schema.

If you applications make use of the dynamic sql functions in owa_util such as tableprint and cellsprint and such, you will need to install ONLY the owa_util package in these developers schemas. They would run pubutil.sql and privutil.sql found in the directories referenced in step 4 above. They will need to do this since the dynamic sql is run with the privs of the owner of the owa_util package and the 'ows' user has no privs so most dbms_sql calls will fail.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Tue Sep 22 1998 - 12:56:17 CDT