Re: SHUTDOWN: waiting for logins to complete.

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:10:52 +0800

Stuart Walker wrote:

> We're running Oracle 7.3.3.5.1, and got the above message(multiple
> times) when attempting to perform a shutdown immediate. This message
> appeared once in the alert log, and multiple times in a trace file for
> an Oracle client. Basically the shutdown took about 30 minutes,
> eventhough there was no database activity. Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stuart Walker
> Westpac Banking Corp

we have encountered that problem on an intermittent basis since 7.3 (we are now at 7.3.4.3 and still occasionally get it...)

our workaround (on the unix world) was to:

script1: (run in background)
  sleep 10 mins
  if database up, then

     shutdown abort
     startup
     shutdown immediate

script2:
  shutdown immediate

So if script2 hangs, then eventually script1 will have the "final say" and force the database to go down.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology