Re: Increasing SGA

From: Winnie Liu <oracle_dba_at_zdnetmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:32:43 -0700

Okey.. The first thing you need to check is a parameter called SHMMAX. On solaris, it is in /etc/system. Look for something like SHMSEG:SHMMAX in that file and see how big the parameter it set to be. This parameter is the maximum size of the memory segment that the system can get. You will want the SGA to be smaller than that parameter. I heard that if solaris, if you want to increase the SGA to more than 256MB (I read from the Oracle metalink..), you will have to rewrite the address of the memory segment, havn't tried that before, so not sure. Oracle suggest that the SGA to be around 1/3 or the acutally physical RAM of the system.

Hope it can help.
Winnie