Re: REALLY urgent : Beginner's dumb question (O7.3)

From: Winnie Liu <oracle_dba_at_zdnetmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:24:46 -0700

Next time, when you notice that the file is created in the wrong place, DON'T DELETE IT!!! You can copy the whole datafile to the right directory and then issue this after you bring the tablespace offline:

alter tablespace rename datafile <oldfilename> to <newfilename>

Now as you have remove the file. (I guess you will not have any backup of that particular file!) You have to drop the whole tablespace. I hope that you do frequently do an export on the tables though. All you have to do is the following:

  1. mount the database (DON'T OPEN IT!!!)
  2. Issue: alter database datafile <...> offline drop; <-this statement ONLY work when you mount the database!! NOt when the database is open!!
  3. Open the database
  4. drop the whole tablespace and then import those tables back.

Good luck!

Winnie