Re: REALLY urgent : Beginner's dumb question (O7.3)

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 22 Sep 1998 04:04:25 GMT

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:06:46 +0200, "Tarek Chouman" <tchouman_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I created an additional datafile in my tablespace (2 datafiles).
>I then noticed that this file was created in the wrong place on my AIX.
>I removed it using "rm".

This is a very bad situation. I personally don't know any way to recover from this other than to restore the lost datafile. Depending on when your backup was last done, and when you deleted the file, you may have to restore the entire database.

It is possible to move a datafile if you don't like where you placed it. Try reading up on the ALTER DATABASE RENAME DATAFILE command.

>My tablespace cannot be shifted to online (everybody is shouting at me)

I can understand that. It's a tough situation to be in. I'm sure though, that you aren't the first person to delete a datafile.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Mon Sep 21 1998 - 23:04:25 CDT