Re: cannot allocate new log, sequence #

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 00:50:24 GMT

A copy of this was sent to aaronurbain_at_bigfoot.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 00:10:19 GMT, you wrote:

>My logs switch every 2 hours under load and are 64M.
>
>I searched TNS (this news server) for this common line in my alert log but
>only found that if I make my logfiles larger, the troublesome message will go
>away.
>
>Sure I can make them larger, and the message may vanish, but anyone know the
>details behind the message?
>
>mabey my swr is too high? Corrosion on my connector ends? I'm stumped.
>
>-Aaron
> kd7bwz

the infamous "checkpoint not complete, cannot allocate new log" message.

this occurrs when Oracle attempts to reuse a log file but the checkpoint that would flush the blocks that may have redo in this log file has not yet completed -- we must wait until that checkpoint completes before we can reuse that file -- thats when this message is printed. during this time (when we cannot allocate a new log) processing is suspended in the database while the checkpoint is made to complete ASAP.

The major way to relieve this is to have sufficient log to carry you through peak times. that way, we can complete the checkpoint while you are not busy.

also make sure your checkpoints happen as fast as they can (eg: enable ASYNC IO or configure >1 DBWR if ansyc IO cannot be used, make sure disks are not contending with other apps and so on)

Another way is to make the log files smaller, hence increasing the frequency with which we checkpoint (log checkpoint interval and other init.ora parameters achieve the same effect btw).

I myself prefer to use a modest sized log file (around 25meg) and will add logfiles until these messages cease...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Sun Sep 20 1998 - 19:50:24 CDT