Re: Oracle 7.3 install

From: Bob Nightingale <nighr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:25:48 -0500

chichi wrote in message <35F8761E.504B6E7B_at_ix.netcom.com>...
>I had questions regarding the installation of 7.3.3 on HP-UX.
>
>1)We have HP-UX 10.10 and I wanted to know what kind of errors I'd run
>into if I try to install 7.3.3 on it (the requirement says at least
>HP-UX 10.20).

You're playing with fire by not having 10.20. Also you need to check if you have the cumulative patches in place if you are using the async options.

>2) Also, The installation guide tells u to log in as the Oracle
>software owner after having mounted the CD-ROM. But how can u log in as
>Oracle when you the user hasn't been created yet??

Use SAM to create a Unix user named Oracle and a group named DBA. Otherwise you'll have to manually edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group. You're not putting me on, are you?

After mounting the
>cd-rom, what is usually the next step? The manual is confusing. Also,
>it asks you to change directory to the orainst directory but the
>directory does not exist yet? I thought all this should be part of the
>Installer prompts?

I guess you've really never done this before. The unix mount command will give you a path to your CD ROM. For HPUX you need to use something called the Portable File System, which is a little flaky in itself. Once mounted you will have to change directory to /cdrom/orinst. /cdrom is one possible mount point. You system administrator may have created one by a different name.

>3) Has anyone installed the 7.3.2 Workgroup server on HP-UX 10.10? We
>ran into problems with that. It kept asking for WGSORAHOME.

Most Oracle installations have an environment variable called ORACLE_HOME that you have to set in you're $HOME/.profile or /etc/profile file (if you're running Borne or Korn shells). It should point to the topmost point in your Oracle tree on your had disk. I suspect you couldn't update or delete your old files because you attempted to install the software the first time as root, then tried it again as Oracle. Oracle can't remove root  files unless you set the file ownerships to Oracle or give everyone write access. Received on Sun Sep 20 1998 - 10:25:48 CDT