Re: Sybase to Oracle database conversion.

From: Bob Nightingale <nighr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:26:16 -0500

Marc Calvert wrote in message <6tbg8r$aut_at_newsops.execpc.com>...
>I have recently converted a Sybase database of 515 table approx. 18 gig
>and 80 Million rows to Oracle 8.0.5. I plan to use the analyze table
>validate structure, analyze table compute statistics sql on each table
>and periodically there after.
>
>What other prudent, data integrity checking procedures should I
>implement?

I would think at a minimum you would do a MINUS between the old tables and the new tables.

>Also after doing the above, a query of the user_tables view yields a
>fairly high ratio of blocks to empty_blocks.
>
>Is there something that I can to to reduce the amount of storage space
>that each table requires?
>
>I am using a pctfree of 5 and pctused of 85 on each of the tables as
>this is a datawharehouse application and there will be very little if
>any changes made to the existing data.

If there are no in-place updates you could set the PCTFREE to zero. As far as getting rid of the empty blocks, I would take your statistics report and create an initial extent of base on 110% of #num_rows times avg_row_length. I would then make my next extent very small. That's assuming you're database isn't going to grow by much.

--Bob. Received on Sun Sep 20 1998 - 00:26:16 CDT