Re: Copying to a test database

From: Jim Stott <jamest_at_innet.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 11:30:46 -0400

On our NT 7.3.3 Oracle server I have production "backup" to 2 test databases.

I setup a couple of batch files -

  1. drop all tables, views, proc's from you test instance (batch file killall.bat from sample)
  2. export your production data
  3. import your "production" data into the test instance

Users now have a sandbox to play in. We just setup a couple of different Icons on their desktop and they can run production or test.

 I use the export/import rather than the copy db files for a couple of reasons - It tests my import/export abilities/process in case I realy need to do if for REAL on production , and I can have a fresh copy of production data just about any time in Test for the effort !

Sample batch file I use:

importnow.bat  -------------------------------------------------

echo ON

rem **********************************************
rem **** Oracle 7.3.3 PTMN Import Utility *******
rem **********************************************
rem
copy f:\production\now.dat f:\test
rem
set oracle_sid=ptmn
set oracle_sid
pause
call killall.bat
imp73 userid=prod/xxxx file=now.dat log=now.log Full=y rows=y ignore=Y PLUS33 PROD/PROD @COMPILE_ptmn.SQL
PLUS33 PROD/PROD @COMPILE_ptmn.SQL

Hope this helps...

Jim

<01bde34c$20d39a00$f96916ac_at_williams-dennis>...