Re: I need Oracle help. Lotsa questions here. Oracle autostart options? Oracle SQL Cron? Online export?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:33:02 GMT

A copy of this was sent to paul_wass_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 11:58:57 GMT, you wrote:

>We're running Oracle 7.3 on a Novell Netware box.
>
>I have a multiple questions here.

>3) Does Oracle have any type of Cron built into it for running Stored procs
>or Sql scripts? If not, is it possible to write a Store procedure that acts
>like a CRON and runs itself or other procs at certain times?

dbms_job will do this. Review the specification of the dbms_job package in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdms/admin/dbmsjob.sql file. You have to set some init.ora parameters to get it going.

>4) Can an export be done while the database is up and running with no users
>logged in?

Yes and no.

Technically -- not really since if you are doing an export YOU are logged in. The database MUST be up and at least one person (the exporting user) will be logged in. You can export with users logged in as well...

>That's all my questions for now. Thanks to anyone who can help!!!
>
>Paul

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Sun Sep 20 1998 - 09:33:02 CDT