Unexplained extras in DBMS_PIPE

From: <jboes_at_qtm.net>
Date: 1998/09/18

Has anyone else ever seen strange behavior with DBMS_PIPE? I'm using Oracle 7.2.2.3.0 on AIX 4.1. My pipe listener is a Pro*C program which reads the pipe, unpacks each field using NEXT_ITEM_TYPE and UNPACK_MESSAGE. I have a trigger (AFTER INSERT) which calls a procedure that writes one message to the pipe (I have confirmed this through debugging--there is no second message). After my Pro*C code processes the first message correctly, it loops thinking there is another message, and dies with -1405 (fetched column value is NULL). Oddly enough, it would appear that it does two successful UNPACK_MESSAGE calls before it dies.

--

Jeff Boes jboes_at_qtm.net
http://www.qtm.net/~jboes/