Re: I've fallen and I cant get up.

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 21:45:39 -0500

Why did you need to do a resetlogs to open the database?

Probably because you restored the control file from the backup.
This would mean Oracle did not know recovery was needed.
This would mean you had to do a recover until cancel using backup control file.
This would mean that you had to cancel the recovery at the end.
And finally, this would mean a resetlogs was required.

Is this the only way for this to happen? I don't know. I don't know of any other way.

__________________________________

RMAN may be smart enough to know that a resetlogs cuts your database off from prior backups -- you can no longer restore a prior backup and recover through the resetlogs -- so maybe it needs a re-regristration like it is a new database!

Greg C. wrote:

Please help me.

why is this happening.
I have registered a target db in a recovery catalog. I have also
successfully backed up the entire db and recovered it.  However when
opening the db after recovery, I had to use the resetlogs option.  Now when
I try to run another RMAN script I get the error message "target database
incarnation not found in recovery catalog".

I have tried to resync the catalog and I get the following message.
Recovery Manager: Release 8.0.4.0.0 - Production

RMAN-06005: connected to target database: TEST
RMAN-06008: connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> resync catalog;

RMAN-03022: compiling command: resync
RMAN-03023: executing command: resync
RMAN-03026: error recovery releasing channel resources
RMAN-00569: ================error message stack follows================
RMAN-03006: non-retryable error occurred during execution of command:
resync
RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel default
RMAN-10032: unhandled exception during execution of job step 1: ORA-06512:
at li
ne 586
RMAN-20003: target database incarnation not found in recovery catalog

By the way, I am doing everything from the RMAN prompt, and not using OEM.

I cannot get RMAN to run consistenty.  This is very frustrating.