Re: We need to move lots of data between Oracles on different platforms, any ideas?

From: Mark Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 18 Sep 1998 13:55:11 GMT

Have you looked into using database links to allow queries executed on the NT to retrieve the associated data from the MVS and UNIX systems as needed.  We use database links between our main UNIX based application and our VMS based plant floor operations with good results. Distributed transactions work best for queries where the key column values for the remote data is known which sounds like your case.

As far as transferring the data for an initial load or on an ongoing basis I think that ftp is as good as it gets. There are middleware packages that you could use but most of them are just pretty GUI interfaces that set on top of ftp or a proprietary messaging scheme. If you are going to use something that relies on a proprietary protocol then you might as well use a Pro*C program that opens a connection to your NT system and one of the other Oracles via sqlnet at the same time and use it to read one system and insert into the other.

tony <ramdan_at_mailexcite.com> wrote in article <4AsM1.2920$kz3.447050_at_newscene.newscene.com>...
> We need to creata a database on NT that will get customer records
(several
> million) from Oracle on MVS and billing info on those customers from
Oracle on