Re: oracle on NT vs UNIX

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:43:45 +0200

Michael Rice wrote in message <6tr703$ojd$1_at_news.dn.net>...
>I am currently running an architecture that runs Oracle on the NT server.
>To this date we have not had any problems. One thing I like about the NT
>operation is that it is readily available in all countries. The
>architecture that we have put in place has several Oracle/NT servers
>throughout the world. We have also determined that we do not get the same
>user/CPU ratio as we did on the UNIX system, but have had a resounding
>success with the application and system. One thing I would caution on is,
>Make certain that with any mission critical application you have a proven
>failover system.

With small and light-medium Oracle databases, NT Server may offer quite well performance, if you use good intel-based machine (HP, Compaq & so on). I run one and see it.
Unfortunetally, NT env. lacks of maintenance possibilities. For example, you are able to run Oracle only from one oracle_home at a time. On unix you may run from many different ORACLE_HOME's. On NT there's no possibility to achieve flexibility compared to OFA. So you may expect odd problems and spending quite much time while migrating between Oracle's versions.
Next, NT does not offer good scripting environment. I have to install gnu tools. However NT does not support unix-like, but very helpful things such as named pipes. Not everything can be done via interactive GUI with lots of clicks.
And there's a very odd NT problem: copying large files (for backup purposes for example). If size of a file is about of memory size or greater, copying time grows intensively. Maybe service-pack 4 brings the solution.

Piotr
--
 Piotr Kolodziej
 <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>