Re: ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

From: <harebrain_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 01:22:34 GMT

In article <35D7A995.7654_at_yahoo.com>,
  jin_lingang_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> There is a bug of SQL*NET. I encountered this problem when I try to
> select a big table through sql*net. There is a workaround for it:
>
> In sqlnet.ora, set
> sqlnet.expire_time = 0
>
> Hope this help you.
>
> Regards,
> Jin Lingang
>
> rwessman_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> >
> > This error can occur for a multitude of reasons. It basically means that the
> > server went away.
> >
> > I suggest contacting Oracle Support. There may be a fix for your particular
> > problem.
> >
> > "Albert Borrull" <aborrull_at_sgosoft.com> writes:

I found the following excerpt from another thread, and the solution proposed there, changing the optmizer mode solved the problem for me. I wanted to pass it along in case other people are still banging their heads over this one.

> 2. Another problem we have is with ORACLE 7.3.4. The error message
> "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel" pops up when we are
> trying to connect a third part tool to the database via ODBC. SQL-NET
> and SQL-PLUS are working fine together and all ORACLE products
> (Enterprise manager etc.) are working as well. We recently upgraded
> the version from 7.2 to 7.3 and now this problem occurs and I have no
> idea of what to do. The ORACLE trace give no clue and the core-dump is
> just as informative as something written in Greek. The only way out
> seems to be to reinstall the thing but I'm hoping to avoid it. ORACLE
> is running on DEC in this case.
>
> Does anyone recognize any of these problems ? Please let me know if
> you have any suggestion of solutions. Thanks.
>
> Ford
> Email: ford.perfect_at_mindless.com

  I have this problem with SQLWindows and the optimizer. Check in your init.ora archive the parameter optimizer_mode an set it to RULE and test your application.

good luck.