Re: Oracle/SPARC Solaris + RAID -- Experiences/Opinions anyone?

From: Art S. Kagel <kagel_at_bloomberg.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:03:50 -0400

Adam W. Dace wrote:

> I'm just tossing this out as we as a company struggle to decide which
> vendor fits our needs better -- Sun or Winchester.
>
> They both make RAID arrays with accelerator cards, and while both seem
> attractive, Winchester seems to have much higher performance stats.
>
> If you've dealt with either company's RAID products, please drop me a
> line and include details such as what the server does, your experience
> with the product, etc. The true ideal would be someone who's dealt with
> both, but it's not a perfect world after all.

Have not used Winchester. We have DG Clariion, Sun, and EMC\2 arrays. All perform great in the order named with EMC performing best and costing most. The Sun arrays are great middle of the road arrays good performance and decent pricing. BTW do not use the Sun Volume Manager which is an older, buggy, version of Veritas. Get the latest Veritas version direct from them.

Art S. Kagel Received on Thu Sep 17 1998 - 15:03:50 CDT