Re: How do I get rid of this @$# database.

From: Tim Jones <tojones_at_gate.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 14:19:04 -0400

Art S. Kagel wrote:

> I have installed Oracle 8.whatever and let the installer create my
> database. It was created in filesystem space. I'd like to recreate it
> in RAW device space but I do not know how to get rid of the database so
> I can recreate it. OK so I'm an old Informix bigot and I like the SQL
> DROP DATABASE statement, but that asside, how do I do this?
>
> Art S. Kagel
> Willing to take Oracle DBA classes as soon as this rush is over....

Art,

 At least you completed the install of 8.  What did you do when the install asked you for the 3 mount points?? Did you have to use Cooked File directories to create oradata?? I think the install is running a mkdir ordata or trying to create the file name oradata in my /u02 /u03 /u04 directories. Each one of these, /u02 /u03 and /u04 are symbolic linked to /dev/vg01/rlvol2... rlvol3 and rlvol4. Am I crazy for thinking you can not create the Oracle Sytem (oradata) in Raw.?? What the heck????

I too, am an Informix bigot...and really hating this Rear-Engineering into Oracle....
I will ask my Oracle SE onsite here and try to get you an answer.

Tim Jones
tojones_at_gate.net Received on Thu Sep 17 1998 - 13:19:04 CDT