Re: Oracle Security and Data Encryption

From: Karel Sprenger <ks_at_ic.uva.nl>
Date: 17 Sep 1998 11:17:25 +0200

Hi,

"Michael Rice" <jmrice_at_concentric.net> writes:

> How do I go about implementing data level security? I have a table that
> contains data that should only be viewed by specific personnel, therefor I
> would like to secure this data from SQL level queries. The data cannot be
> moved to another table, therefor I will need column level security. How can
> column level security be implemented in a 7.3 database?

For each group define a view on the table, containing only the columns you want to be seen by that group, then grant them select privilege on that view and not on the table itself.

> Additionally, how can I encrypt SQL data over the Internet?

Oracle has (or had?) something called Secure Network Services that allow for encrypted transport of SQL data. SQL*Net itself optionally encrypts the Oracle user's password.

Cheers,
Karel

--

Karel Sprenger <ks_at_ic.uva.nl>               | phone: +31-20-525 2302
Informatiseringscentrum                     |        +31-20-525 2741