Re: Oracle 8.0.3 & 7.3.3 Listener problem

From: Jarek Palka <triss_at_zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:39:38 +0200

>Is there a way (patch) to fix this problem ?
>10X
>
>            Shaul

I did it with one listener (OracleTNSlistener80) working with two instances of different server releases.
We have old Designer 2000 r. 1.3.2 which works correct only with Oracle 7.3. And we want work with new Oracle 8 server because of new features such like Partitioning Tables. I had to install two servers on one Windows NT machine. This is my experience with installing two different server instances on one machine :

  1. Install Oracle 7 with SQL Net 2.
  2. Stop all Oracle NT Services.
  3. In the same Oracle Home install Oracle 8 following with instruction. Remember to name new instance with different SID !
  4. Start both services OracleServiceORCL and OracleStartORCL (Oracle 7 services) without OracleTNSListener !
  5. Both databases will use one listener (that from Oracle 8 called OracleTNSListener80)
  6. Write an appropriate LISTENER.ORA file : such like this :
################

# Filename......: listener.ora
################

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS=

(PROTOCOL= IPC)
(KEY= oracle.world)
) (ADDRESS=
(PROTOCOL= IPC)
(KEY= ORA8)
) (ADDRESS=
(COMMUNITY= TCP.world)
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= <host_name or IP adress>)
(Port= 1521)
) (ADDRESS=
(COMMUNITY= TCP.world)
(PROTOCOL= TCP)
(Host= <host_name or IP adress>)
(Port= 1526)
)

  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = ORA8)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = ORCL)
    )
  )
PASSWORDS_LISTENER = (oracle)

7. Start OracleTNSListener80 and set them to start Automatic. 8. Enviroment variable ORACLE_SID points to instance if connecting local database on the server.

Now there are two database instances on one machine. Enjoy !

Jarek Palka Received on Thu Sep 17 1998 - 01:39:38 CDT