Re: oracle disaster recovery

From: Winnie Liu <dba_at_zdnetmail.com>
Date: 1998/09/16

There is a thing more to consider: the controlfile.. If you lost your controlfile also,you need to restore your controlfile from backup. and then issue the "recover database using backup controlfile until cancel"

Winnie

    John P. Higgins wrote in message <360076DD.4D860959_at_deere.com>...     No problem.
    Restore all your files from your latest hot backup.     Restore all the archived redo log files since the start of that backup.

    Startup mount.
    Recover database until cancel.
    Cancel after last log is applied.
    Alter database open resetlogs.
    Take a hot/cold backup now!

    Since your old machine is 'toast', you have lost whatever was in the lost online log file and any archived log files that were never backed up.

    If you take a hot backup after the restore, you get the system back to the users sooner. If the hot backup is successful, you never need a cold backup.

    But, there is a risk here -- if you crash again before the backup is complete, you must repeat the prior restore/recovery and lose the updates that had occurred since then.

    This is a business decision: is the slight risk of lost work worth waiting for a cold backup?

    Steve Perry wrote:

        I posted this lastnight but didn't see it, so I'll post it again.

        I was under the impression that I had to have at least one cold backup to

        restore a system with the hot backup files.
        Example.
        I'm in archive log mode and I have been doing hot backups daily
        I've been backing up my archive logs daily
        I've been backing up my control file daily (binary not to trace)

        I have a copy of my init.ora

        all of a sudden, I have a total machine crash - all drives are
"toast",
        machine is totally gone.
        I do NOT have any cold backups - None...

        I get my hands on another server.
        With the above scenario, can I recreate my instance using only
my hot
        backups.
        I've been told I can, but I've always thought I had to keep a
cold backup
        around in case of the above scenario.

        Can somebody explain this???

        Thanks,