Re: Access to Oracle Server 7.x or 8.x

From: Bilbo Baggins <jtschida_at_andersencorp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 02:38:10 GMT

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:11:52 -0700, "George Dimopoulos" <george_at_hivnet.ubc.ca> wrote:

>How does one restrict access to Oracle Instances?
>
>say users can only access Oracle Instance/db via the application
>and that is all.
>
>no sqlplus, no browsers, no odbc
>
>any ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
>please send to george_at_hivnet.ubc.ca
>and I will post the answers, comments
>
>thx in advance

One idea would be to have the application append a prefix to the username, and log the user into the database under the new name. The user may not realize that the name they used to log in is not the same name that Oracle validates, so logging in through another type of client program would be impossible.

At our company, we use the built-in Oracle OS validation by declaring a predetermined prefix in the initXXX.ora file, and only creating user database accounts based on the OS validated usernames. This makes it impossible for the user to ever log in from any other source.

Hope this helps

Joe Tschida
joe.tschida_at_andersencorp.com Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 21:38:10 CDT