oracle processes dies..

From: Bjorn Jorde <bjorn_at_tumbleweed.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:56:58 -0700

Hi,

We have a multi-threaded Solaris2.6 application that is using the OCI call olog() to create db connections to Oracle.

We're experiencing a strange behavior with the processes that are forked off from the client library when we create the connection.

Under light load, everything is fine, but under heavier load (10
or more threads), these processes (which are child processes of
our application), starts to die (the application receives SIGCLD
signal, and ps -efL shows some of the oracle processes as <defunct>), and new ones are started.

This problem only occur on multi-processor machines (i.e. Sparc Enterprise 3000, but not on Ultra 5).

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any clues of whats going on?

Is it possible to configure oracle so that the OCI call does not spawn a process, but instead creates a new thread, or something?

Thanks!

--
Bjorn Jorde

"Tumbleweed - The Leader in Trusted Internet File Delivery"