Oracle Replication vs. 3rd party alternatives

From: Ken Walters <kwalters_at_pbs.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:52:33 GMT

I have been investigating replication options with Oracle 7.3. Some companies, like Quest Software, offer "Log" based replication solutions that they claim are far easier to setup, and perform better than Oracle's own replication product.

I am told that Oracle7 cannot replicate Sequences, cannot replicate certain data types, and puts a load on the system because it is rule based.

I have been told that log based replication puts almost no load on the system, is easy to configure, and can replicate the datatypes Oracle replication cannot, it also supports sequences.

If anyone has any experience with non-Oracle replication options I would appreciate your comments. I would also like to know if I am wrong about Oracle replication capabilities. Thanks

--
Ken Walters
kwalters_at_pbs.org