Re: multithreaded server

From: Ken Walters <kwalters_at_pbs.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:20:57 GMT

Akrom,
Here is something I came across while configuring and then subsequently deactivating MTS. I believe it is an Oracle technical bulletin. If I had lots of users in a pure OLTP environment, with limited system resources I would consider MTS. Are you in this situation?
Ken

Mts configurations allows many user processes to share a few server processes.
 Without mts, each user process requires its own dedicated server process.

A dedicated server process remains associated to a user process for the
duration of the connection. With mts many user processes connect to a

dispatcher process. The dispatcher routes client request to the next available shared server process.

The advantage of mts is that system overhead is reduced, thus allowing more
users to be supported.

The disadvantage is that it is slower. Large queries will have a major
performance impact when using mts.

You will need to add a minimum of 20-30% overhead to the values calculated
allow for unexpected and unmeasured usage of the shared pool other than
object
memory, shared SQL or cursor memory. If the system is making heavy use of
dynamic SQL, 20% may not be enough, since this will come out of the runtime
heap in the shared pool.

It is advised that companies with 200+ users should use mts for small queries.
Companies will less than 200 users will not see the advantage of mts.
--

Ken Walters
kwalters_at_pbs.org