Re: Storing Word doc in Oracle

From: Peter J. Thompson <pthompson_at_taratec.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:58:01 GMT

Magnus,

        I worked on an application written in C++ (Borland 4.5x) utilizing Roguewave dbtools++ as the Oracle API. We had a relatively complex OLE Automation scheme in place to get word to do the things we needed to do. Basically, if you can manage the word content as one or more buffers, you can get/put to Oracle as one or more Blobs (BinaryLargeObjectS) (datatype is LONG RAW). As long as you can manage the buffers, you're in good shape. The Blobs can hold anything. I seem to remeber we ran into some problems with max blob size and had to use several 'mini-blobs' to get the job done. I can't remember if this was a roguewave or some other limititation. This particular application started life in 16 bit windows and we used OCI and ODBC and Pers. Oracle and Oracle running on various Unix and NT servers. We also run it against Sybase SQLAnywhere. I suspect that size limitation is gone but watch out just in case!

Hope this helps -- Good Luck.

_Pete_