Re: Oracle and Raid5

From: Mario <msimic_at_alf.tel.hr>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:38:38 +0200

Ron Wagner wrote in message <6tmdtk$g28$1_at_news.worldonline.nl>...
>Hi,
>
>I have a new raid5 system, and i asked myself what is the best logical
>layout
>for the disks.
>Just 1 or diverend logical disks.
>
>Does anyone has experience with Oracle and Raid5.
>
>By the way oracle runs on a NT server.
>
>Thanks!
>Ron Wagner

My suggestion is : don't use RAID 5 because it acts like one large physical disk. Logical layout for the disks doesnt matter in that case. Performance degradation could be serious ie. its mots likely that you would have a disk contention.
When running ORACLE try to use as much independent disks as possible. If reliability is critical, use disk mirroring or run ORACLE in archive log mode.

IHTH Mario Simic
IN2 Ltd
http://www.in2.hr Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 06:38:38 CDT