Is Oracle 7.3.3 on Solaris slow with Crystal Reports?

From: Steve Cooney <pacwin_at_ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:23:46 +1200

Greetings,

we are stumped with 30-40 minute waits for Crystal Reports to populate its listbox, when and only when, we want to display the list of stored procedures on the server when selecting the data source for a report. If you select the wrong procedure you are then faced with another 30-40 minute wait. Not good for productivity. We have the latest 6.0.151 build of CR Pro 6.

This is a dev server with minimal load, ODBC with CR6 (Intersolve), Microsoft and Oracle drivers for Oracle all work fine with tables. Client apps using the Oracle Call Interface/SQL-Net are not impacted. Only Crystal Reports and only with PL/SQL stored procedures and only with the Crystal Reports Direct Database driver which uses the Oracle connectivity via a small interface DLL p2sora7.dll (31/03/98 6.0.0.17). The clients are NT4W OS with most of Oracle Client for NT 2.3.4 installed.

There is nothing notewrthy on Oracle Techsoft or with Seagate

One developer at a more remote site reported delays of 80 minutes!! to open a listbox from this server. During this time the application appears dead (Application not responding" in NT TaskManager, fails to paint itself etc)

Any clues or advice on how to troubleshoot it. Any tracing or system initialisation files to tweak? We have tried a client trace and this generates an enrmous 1.6MB file during the 40 minute period of waiting. Another app, TOAD for Oracle, creates 18k trace file and takes 20-25 secs to create a list of stored procedures. This doesn't sound like a server problem but we are keen on even the far out suggestions.

Steve Cooney Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 03:23:46 CDT