Re: Why do objects become invalid?

From: Marc Billiet <Marc.Billiet_at_hae.hydro.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 07:44:14 +0200

Winnie Liu wrote:

> IF you make changes to the objects which those "invalid" objects depends on,
> such as changes on table. The objects will then became invalid. But the next
> time you call those objects again, (if everything is valid), Oracle will
> recompile that for you again.
>
> Winnie
>
> Violin wrote in message <360a1c6d.7714776_at_news.twsc.pouchen.com.tw>...
> >Hello,
> >I want to ask a question,
> >When I connect as system/mamanger and
> >SELECT * FROM ALL_OBJECTS WHERE STATUS = 'INVALID';
> >I can find some objetcs like procedures,triggers,views become INVALID.
> >And if I recompile the scripts,the objects' STATUS become VALID.
> >But I don't know why?
> >'Cause I don't alter the objects,but they become INVALID.
> >Please give me more information about this.
> >Please Cc to : violin.hsiao_at_mail.pouchen.com.tw,Thank you :-)

You can also execute following sql-statement to check which objects your procedure is dependent on (any change to one of these objects will cause your procedure to become invalid):

select referenced_owner,referenced_name, referenced_type,referenced_link_name
from user_dependencies
where name = 'yourprocedure'
and type = 'PROCEDURE' -- or FUNCTION, PACKAGE, PACKAGE BODY, VIEW, SNAPSHOT, ...
/

(you can also use all_dependencies and dba_dependencies)

Marc Billiet Received on Wed Sep 16 1998 - 00:44:14 CDT