Re: RESTRICTING DB ACCESS ?

From: Jim Smith <James.R.Smith_at_hrb.com>
Date: 1998/09/15

JDM wrote:

> Hi !
>
> We are making a MDI program in PowerBuilder 6.0 using an Oracle 8.0 DB.
> The aim is now to restrict the access to a predefined number of users,
> by the mean of some Oracle features ... if possible.
>
> Given that a new transaction is initiated by a user when he opens a new
> window,
> the restriction cannot be made on the number of DB connections.
>
> How is it then possible to take into account the number of simultaneous
> logged users in order to avoid a number of users greater than the
> predefined one ?

In Oracle you have the option to limit how many connections to allow to your database. Your DBA should know how to do this. Oracle will prevent users from logging on if the database has reached its limit. You don't have to check for the limit in your code. If you are issuing new connection to the db for each window that is open you may run into problems. You don't have to connect to the db for every window if you make your transaction object global or use the default SQLCA. This all depends on how the application is going to operate also.

> By the use of some Oracle system tables ?
>
> Tanx for any answer ! mailto:tanx2_at_writeme.com

James R. Smith          Raytheon Systems Company
814-238-4311 x2888      P.O Box 60, Science Park Rd.
814-234-7720 (FAX)      State College, PA 16804-0060

EMAIL: james.r.smith_at_hrb.com or jrs_at_hrb.com

Go Lions!!!
           ,    ,
 WE ARE!!!       PENN STATE!!!