Re: Crashed WinNT 3.51:Oracle SGA error messages,please help...

From: Joe Brown <NoSpamMeVeryMuch_at_leading.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 00:32:26 GMT

The instance won't start because the datafiles are not all the same version.

When oracle shuts down, it tags all of it's datafiles with a stamp.

When the instance attempts to mount the database, it checks all of the datafile stamps version against the control file (I believe). If they do not match, the mount fails.

The logfiles will verify this, check %oracle_home%\RDBMS73\TRACE\*

The tricky part is to get it to mount. If you have redo logfiles it will be less complicated, than if you don't.

Check the oracle documentation for crash recovery.

You'll need to use %oracle_home%\BIN\SQLDBA73 program on the server.

SQL>set instance orcl
SQL>connect internal/oracle
SQL>startup recover

<probably won't work>

RTFM... Sorry I can't be of more help. I lost a datafile once, and had to recreate the tables manually. Hopefully you won't have as much trouble.
kgrigg_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to help with a problem on a Oracle 7.3 instance running on a WinNT
> 3.51 machine that just crashed and burned. I didn't set up the instance,
> but, and trying to work with those who did. Basically what happened....it
> appears that 3 of the 6 drives went offline, for what reasons, we don't know.
> We have gotten all of the drives online again, and the server seems to be
> working again. However, we can't seen to get the Oracle instance up again.
> When trying to connect to it we get the following 3 error messages:
>
> ORA-01034: Oracle not available
> ORA-09243: smsget: error attaching to SGA
> ORA-04101: invalid SGA: SGA not initialized
>
> In the HTML help on the server it referers you to your OS specific
> documentation...which isn't to be found around here anywhere. So, could
> someone give some advice, or possibly point me to where I need to look to
> find info on how to fix this. This came at a really bad time (is there a
> good one?), but, a demo of a project that accesses this has a code freeze
> deadline this friday, and we need to have the machine up and running by the
> morning...
>
> One last thing, in the NT services window, the services seem to come up ok,
> just that the instance can't get started. The inin.ora file looks ok...and
> the control files it points to seems to be where they should....
>
> TIA!!!!!
>
> Kelly
> kgrigg_at_diamonddata.com
> cayenne1_at_earthlink.net