Re: EXPORT Question

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:15:36 +0200

proveen_at_hotmail.com wrote in message <6tk6ae$34e$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Hi,
>
> If i need to export a big table of size 10GB or more, i think
> i will have problems on Unix Systems when the size is more than 3GB.
>
> So i guess i have to split into mutiple dump files.
> I don't think it's a problem on VMS systems.
>
>So could anyone tell me how to export a big table of size more than 10GB into
>multiple dump files?

Why not using on-fly compression ?
For example:

$ exp user/passwd file=stdout log=log tables=your_table | compress > file.dmp.Z

Importing:

$ mkfifo temp.dmp
$ zcat file.dmp.Z > temp.dmp &
$ imp user/passwd file=temp.dmp log=imp_log tables=your_table <and other>

You may use gzip instead of compress. It has much better compress ratio, however it consumes more CPU time.

HTH,
Piotr Kolodziej
pkol_at_otago.gda.pl Received on Tue Sep 15 1998 - 01:15:36 CDT